Boys Soccer Update

Posted on: October 13, 2020

Boys Varsity Draws Madeira 1-1 On Flora Goal


Turpin’s Varsity Boys Soccer team traveled to Madeira for a non-conference match on Saturday, October 10, and fought the host Mustangs to a 1-1 draw, thanks to a second-half strike by sophomore Carter Flora.


The Spartans were shorthanded, with several starters out due to injury or illness. And Madeira did not make it any easier, starting quickly and creating chances. But as the half continued, Turpin created chances of its own on the counter-attack. It was Madeira who ultimately struck first, scoring following a corner kick with 12 minutes remaining. Junior keeper Max Kovall was able to save the first shot on goal, but the rebound bounced to an unmarked Mustang who slotted home the rebound for a 1-0 lead that it kept until halftime.


The second half was a different story. The Spartans largely dominated play throughout the second half, keeping possession and creating multiple chances.  With 15 minutes to go, junior midfielder Andrew Aquilla won the ball at midfield, and passed to senior Johannes Schwarz.  Schwarz then passed to sophomore forward Carter Flora, who streaked toward goal, deftly deked the Madeira keeper, and fired home a goal to level the score at 1-1.  The Spartans continued the pressure on the hosts’ goal, but could not quite get the winner, resulting in their second consecutive draw.


Turpin moves to 8-3-2 on the season, and remains 6-1-1 in the ECC. The Spartans next travel to Colerain for a non-conference game on Tuesday, October 13.

Boys Varsity Fights Kings To A 2-2 Draw


Turpin’s Varsity Boys Soccer team traveled to Kings for a Eastern Cincinnati Conference matchup on Thursday, October 8, and came away with a  2-2 draw.


The opening minutes saw Kings getting the better of play, earning multiple corner kicks and pressuring the Spartan goal.  But the defense held firm, including a timely clearance off the line by sophomore Carter Young to keep the game scoreless. The Spartans eventually turned the tide. With 25 minutes left in the first half, senior forward Johannes Schwarz reaped the benefit of consistent effort and got the Spartans first goal. Schwarz pounced on a misplay by the Knights defense in the box, stealing the ball and firing home a rocket into the net to give the Spartans the lead. The Spartans were then on the front foot for the rest of the first half. With six minutes to go, sophomore Carter Flora fired a shot that was deflected, and on the ensuing corner kick Flora floated a terrific kick into the box that Schwarz headed just over the goal. Then with three minutes to go, senior Andrew Prewitt served a pass into the box to freshman Hayden Jump, who slotted home a goal into the left netting, his first goal as a Spartan. So the Spartans took a 2-0 lead into half.


The second half saw the home team bounce back. Eight minutes in, Kings took advantage of a controversial call by sending a free kick into the box. On the ensuing scramble, Kings’ Ben Frecker hammered home a goal to halve the Spartan lead. Just three minutes later, Kings’ Brady Byrdwell hit a beautiful free kick directly into the top corner of the Spartan goal, leveling the score.  The rest of the second half saw the Spartans applying pressure for a game winner, but the game ended tied 2-2.